Thursday, September 29, 2011

Scripted sales calls old fashioned, fail to connect with customers - Orlando Business Journal:

showarticle-cultura.blogspot.com
Geez, I have been saying this for more than 25 andI can’t believe companies still use them to sell over the OK, forget the companies themselves, let’s blames the manager or the person who is responsible for still tryingh to do something that everu sales trainer on the planet says does not Now, before I go on, do not write or send an e-maipl telling me that I am wrong or being Instead, why don’t you try something new that is, new to you or your organization and just do what I will lay out here. Trustg me, it has worked everh single time withany organization, big or that I have worked with.
This horror of usint scripts came rushing back to me recentlty while working with a company whose stores are in every big city in the The company is highlyh regarded for its ethics and is a very visiblde organization that many are familiar with because ofthe company’ longevity and brand awareness. I was asked to come to the company’ds headquarters and look at its methosd of attracting new business through itstelemarketing program, whichu the company has been usinhg for a couple of years. They said that althoughg the results were OKat first, sales had become prettg dismal. It took me just 30 seconds to read the scriptt that the inside salespeople were and Iwas sickened.
I talked with the company president and said I could help the salespeoplee in justtwo hours, but I needed him to let me do my job and not to interfered unless I called him in for his opinion. He but I could sense he was a bit apprehensive about the situatiob andmy request. I worked only with the who was really a selling managed because she was on the phoneas herself at times trying to pitch inand help. We went into a and I spent an hour going over whyscripts don’f work and why she has been brainwashed to do something that was againstr all the rules of professionak salesmanship.
She was neither thrilleds with me at this point nor happy after I tookher eight-pagd script, ripped it up and thresw it in the wastebasket. We role-played a little using real situationx that she might have withher husband, children and for instance. The goal was to show her that havingfa two-sided conversation is much more usefuo than a one-sided script. She was really starting to get it, even though she kept wanting to go back to a selling mode by doin more talking than listening andaskingg questions. It was so simplee that it was frightening to her that a selling situatiohn can be flexible and not just acannedc speech, where she can actually have fun whil e conversing with a customer.
The introduction and questionas I wrote out were basic and easy for her to They were: “Hi, my name is Susan from Clienrt Co., and I would like to ask you two or thre e quick questions. It will not take more than 48 second – I promise. “Are you familiar with our company? If yes, what aspects “Why are you not a member, or why did you leav our organization?”

No comments:

Post a Comment